Police Advice: -
Due to the recent number of burglaries in the Chandlers Ford and Hiltingbury areas there are extra High Visibility Targeted Patrols and a specific operation utilising resources from other departments available to us, to help locate and identify suspicious vehicles and persons entering the area. Police are asking the public to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activity .
There are certain measures you can take to reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim yourself: -
- Check your insurance documents for any specific security requirements or upgrades.
- Ensure side gates are locked to prevent access to the rear of the property.
- Ensure rear fencing is in good repair.
- Lock all windows and doors, remembering to double lock UPVC doors
- Keep all keys out of reach and sight from the letterbox (remember a device could be used to hook keys through the letterbox).
- Do not leave ladders and garden tools in your garden, lock them away in your shed.
- Improve natural surveillance at the front of your property i.e. trim high hedges.
- Consider fitting security lighting and a burglar alarm.
- Mark your property with postcode and house number and register your property for free with www.immobilise.com
- Make use of timer switches to make the property appear occupied.
- Get a trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your property.
- Consider joining or forming a Neighbourhood Watch scheme.
- Store any high value items (i.e. jewellery, passports) in a properly secured safe or bank vault.
- Remove valuables from view of ground floor windows.
Eastleigh West Neighbourhood Policing Team.